vespamore photography (pronounced "vespa-mor-ay" combining the words vespa and amore, the Italian word for love, "vespalove" by definition)
- 35mm film photography by Paul Hart, gallery - here As well as featuring my own work, this blog also features work by other photographers and anything else creative that has caught my attention or inspired me.

RETROSPECTIVE SCOOTERS
book, photography by Paul Hart, available to order via link -
here

RETROSPECTIVE CYCLES book, photography by Paul Hart, available to order via link - here

Disclaimer: any images or content not owned or produced by me remain the copyright of their original owner. The material and content contained within or provided are not to be used for commercial purposes, or distributed commercially without permission from the owner.

Please notify me by email of any errors or omissions, they will be immediately updated, corrected or removed.

22.6.17

Vespa VB1T - Disegno Bellissimo


1




Stunning newly restored 1957 Vespa VB1T by London Scooter Bodyshop and Retrospective Scooters.

I saw this a few months ago when it was a while away from being finished and on returning to Retropsective and LSB a week or so ago, saw that it was completed. The quality of finishing, paint, attention to detail etc is something to behold...

I love the design of these '50s vespas, check out that gorgeous uninterrupted curve from under the seat to where it ends, behind the number plate - just lovely!! Also the bottom line of the engine cowl; the way it rises and falls in a long sinuous curve.. I've always liked the Faro Basso models with the front fender mounted headlight and also the VB1T as above, with the enclosed handlebars and headlight up high. I'm less keen on the in-between 'Struzzo' models with the exposed handlebars and headlight up above like here - small details you may think but they all add up; funny how your tastes change and evolve too. I think I prefer the Faro Basso and VB1T to say a GS150; the earlier '50s models are for me, eminently more elegant and purer in design than the late '50s 'new' vespa, with the shell in two halves and welded central seam. There are so many pleasing things here to look at and consider - the alloy fender crest, toothed front hub, deep curved kickstart, rear rack, headlight profile, longer louvred ellipse cooling the engine, that lovely engine panel rounded curve, which comes in towards the chassis and when viewed from behind, the asymmetry of the engine and toolbox panels, compared to the more uniform looking panels of the later seamed vespas, which also have the raised hump under the seat, breaking that lovely curve I mentioned earlier. The word "icon" is bandied around with increased regularity these days but for me and when looking at this vespa, it really is a design icon in the true sense of the word.

This is currently for sale at Retrospective Scooters for £7950.00 which many of you may think is extortionate but when you realise and understand what goes into restoring such a vespa, you may think twice. If I had that money spare, I would have bought this already.

Check out the other 35mm film shots I took of this VB1T here















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...